Saturday, June 12, 2010

No appetite for honey

They say one of the most healthy, nutritious foods you can eat is honey. You’ve all seen the advertisements claiming it is a cure for just about every ailment there is. My own grandmother used to take two tablespoons of it every night before she went to bed, claiming it kept her feeling like a 16 year old girl. Though I doubt all the claims made by every bee keeper out there are true, I do suspect there are some great benefits to eating honey. Besides, it tastes good.
Psalms 19 says that God’s word is sweet like honey from a honeycomb. But it says in Proverbs 27:7 that “the full soul loathes a honeycomb; but to the hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet.” What that means is that all too often, we have become so full from eating at the feeding trough of this world that we aren’t hungry anymore for anything sweet. We don’t have any appetite left for God’s word.
Paul sarcastically rebuked the Corinthians, the most carnal church of that day and a church not unlike the church today, “You are already filled, you have already become rich….” Jesus Himself rebuked such a church in Revelation chapter 3 when He said, “you say I am rich and increased with goods and have need of nothing and know not that you’re wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked.”
“Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; be zealous therefore and repent.” He said, “I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot, so because you are lukewarm, I will spit you out of my mouth.” He urges us to “…buy from Me gold refined by fire that you may become rich.” “To him that overcomes I will grant to him to sit down with Me on My Throne.”
It all starts with the Word, then being obedient to the Word, then overcoming the ensnarement of the world, that we may be found when He returns doing the deeds that the Lord has us here to do. Along the way, expect some trials by fire. But that's a good thing, because it restores our appetite for God's Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment