Saturday, August 14, 2010

Give me liberty or give me death

As Christians, we’ve been set free by Christ from the sin that once enslaved us. Yet the Apostle Peter put it this way, "Don't use your liberty as a covering for evil, but use it as bondslaves of God. " 1 Peter 2:16. Yes you’ve been set free, but a Christian has given up his freedom to serve Christ. We serve Christ by serving others, not ourselves. So our freedom is always couched in the aspect of someone else being more important than ourselves. Some aspects of our Christian walk can be gray areas where the Bible doesn’t spell out specifics, especially in the realm of social customs and things that aren’t morally wrong. In determining the extent of our liberty in those areas, I suggest you run them through the following filters.

Number one, excess. First guideline I ask myself about a gray area is do I need it, or is it excess baggage? Hebrews 12:1 says, "Seeing we are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight…" Some things may not be a sin, but are an unnecessary weight that will slow us down in the race we’ve been called to run.
Second, expedience. First Corinthians 6:12, it says, "All things are lawful unto Me, but all things are not expedient." That means useful. Not only does it not have a negative effect, but does it have a positive effect? If I do this, is it going to help me? Is this something I need to be a better man of God, a better woman of God?
A third principle is the principle of emulation. 1 John 2:6, "If we say we abide in Him we ought also to walk, even as He walked." The principle of emulation is this. Is this something that Christ would do?
A fourth. Evangelism. If I do this, is it going to enhance my testimony to an unbeliever? Colossians 4:5 says, "Walk in wisdom toward them that are outside." So if I do this, will it create a better evangelistic platform for me?
A fifth one, edification. Will it build me up? Having done this, will I be stronger in Christ? First Corinthians 10:23, "All things are lawful, yes; but all things edify not." Not everything builds me up. It might be lawful to do it, but it won't build me up.
Sixth, Exaltation. If I do it, will it exalt the Lord? And 1 Corinthians 10:31 says, "Whatever you do, whether you eat or drink do it all to the glory of God." If I do this, will it exalt the Lord?
Seventh, Example. If I do this will it set the right pattern of righteousness for my weaker brother? Will it be an act of love toward him? Romans 14:13 says, "Don't do anything to make him stumble." First Corinthians 8:13 says the same thing, "I'll eat no meat while the world stands, because I might make my brother offend." Here is the principle of setting a loving example.

Paul says that he wouldn’t do something he had every right to do, if it would cause his brother to stumble. We love God by loving one another and serving one another in agape, or self sacrificing love. Putting their needs above your own. Even forsaking your liberty for the brother or sister who is weak in that area. True Christianity is dying to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment